Wednesday, 20 February 2013

The value project

The Value Project

Some of you may have read my post the other day regarding value in our hobby, particularly in relation to the prices of models these days. It got me thinking about how much value I get out of the miniatures I have, and the result of that is what I’m going to call ‘The Value Project’.

I’ve got the beginnings of a Blood Angels army on my paint station (well, I’m calling them the Bloodstone Knights and I’ve tweaked their colour scheme slightly from Blood Angels, but it’s close enough). Blood Angels were my first 40k army (back when devastator weapons were all shoulder mounted and tactical marines were all standing to attention with bolters across their chests) and I’ve always loved them for their fluff, the way they’re almost kinda Vampires but not quite, and their tragic struggle against the black rage echoes in some ways both the degeneration of the wider Imperium, but also the slow death being experienced by the Eldar.

As I’ve only got a few models collected so far, I figured I’d document the value I was getting as I collected the rest of the army, setting out how long I’d spent on each element from washing sprues to assembling, painting and then playing with the figures.

The one caveat I’m going to put on the project is that I want these guys to represent the very best I can achieve in terms of painting, I want each and every single model to be a character in its own right, so there won’t be any basic tactical squad sets in the army (I’m planning on using a combination of death company, sanguinary guard and veteran models to make up the troops units) and the number of layers of paint will probably exceed what most people would use for their games. Similarly, conversion work is going to be quite prominent, particularly amongst the terminators, which are going to be very individualistic.

My current plan for the terminator squad is this:
5 Assault Terminators in Land Raider Redeemer, 3 with Thunder Hammer and Storm Shields, and 2 with Lightning Claws. Models used will be: Asterion Moloc (TH&SS), Darnath Lysander (TH&SS), Arjac Rockfist (TH&SS), Lufgt Huron (Lightning Claws), and Tyberos the Red Wake (Lightning Claws). I’ve got the Redeemer and Moloc already, the Redeemer I have done some conversion work on (sanguinary guard wings on the flanks of the flamestorms) and Moloc is undercoated with part of the base layer of paint completed.

I’ve done my test model for the army to make sure the colour scheme is something I’m happy with, photo is attached below.

The base clearly isn’t finished (or started) yet, but I’m hoping to be able to get hold of some alternative sculpted bases as that side of things is most definitely not my forte.
I will also include the time spent on any background work I do from this point onwards, I know I want my guys to have a Transylvanian theme, so I’m going to use Romanian names for the characters, but it’s not fleshed out any further than that at this point.
So without further ado, here’s the list of what I’ve got so far (and what it would currently cost to buy from GW) and what I’ve still got to collect.

HQ
Terminator Librarian
£15
Assembled, part painted

Astorath the Grim
£15
Assembled, part painted

ELITES
10 Sternguard in Drop pod
(Masters of the chapter £20.50)(Sternguard weapons £8)
£22.50
Some part assembled, not painted

5 Sanguinary Guard
£20.50
Part assembled, part painted

5 Assault Terminators
Land Raider Redeemer
£136
Part assembled, some still to purchase, part painted

TROOPS
10 Soarta (Death Company)
£41
Part assembled, part painted

Soarta Ancient (DC Dreadnought)
£28
Still to buy

10 Assault Marines
£41
Still to buy

10 Assault Marines
£41
Still to buy

10 Tactical Marines in Drop pod
£46 (combined veterans box & death company box)
£22.50
Part assembled, unpainted

10 Tactical Marines in Drop pod
£46 (combined veterans box & death company box)
£22.50
Part assembled, unpainted

FAST ATTACK
4 Scout Bikers
£32
Part assembled, unpainted

10 Vanguard Veterans
£51
Still to buy

3 Land Speeders
£55.50
Part assembled, unpainted

HEAVY SUPPORT
Stormraven
£50
Still to buy

Vindicator
£35
Still to buy

Vindicator
£35
Still to buy


I haven’t included the cost of any parts from my bits box in the above, mainly because most of us have a bits box, and also because most people would buy a whole kit just to get an extra hand flamer to use to make a combi-flamer.
Look out for more from me on these guys, I’m hoping to start putting up regular posts on them in the future as my long-term project.