Wednesday, 14 May 2014

Batch painting - is it really better?

Hi all, and the posts just continue to roll off the production line! 

Today I thought I'd talk a little bit about batch painting, I've got over 20 years of painting miniatures behind me, and I've batch painted a whole lot of miniatures over the years, including one project of 120 clanrats for my old skaven army, which pretty much put me off painting any more skaven for years afterwards.

Now I'm a hobbyist who loves to paint, for me it's an important part of the hobby, just as important and fun as playing games, but we all prefer to play with painted miniatures don't we? So the answer to getting all those troops painted is often batch painting, and it's something we have all done I'm sure.

But my question today is, is it really such a good idea? It's certainly efficient, you get on a roll painting a particular set of parts and sooner than you realise, the squad is finished. But that's not my argument - because I find that painting in this way takes some of the fun out of it, each model having less attention lavished on it than if it were painted individually, where the time spent with a single miniature means I care far more about each coat than if I'm just painting a batch of ten shoulder pads.

It's just a thought, and I'll admit I don't have an answer, in fact I don't think there is a right or wrong answer, but next time you pick up a paintbrush ask yourself - am I doing this because I need to get something finished, perhaps for a tournament? Or am I painting because I want to? If the answer is the latter, you might find panting 1 model gives you more enjoyment.