Saturday, 27 September 2014

Preparing to raid realspace

There's no way I could let this weekend go by without making some comment on all the dark eldar rumours that are doing the rounds.

It was the dark eldar who really rekindled my love for the hobby after several years stagnating with no games and my painting being sporadic at best (PS3 may have contributed to this!)

I didn't manage to play them in fifth, and after a 12 year break from gaming it's fair to say that my games were not hugely successful under the sixth ruleset. I parked them on a shelf in my garage while I concentrated on bringing the iron fists up to standard, both in terms of selection and painting standard. They're nearly there though now so this week I broke out the Kabal of the Burning Eye and began re-touching their appearance.

I have to say that one of the main reasons I shelved the DE was the difficulty I had getting my units anywhere near their threat range (combination of tau players and lack of experience on my part).

In no particular order here are the rumours I'm really pleased to see, in the hopes of making my beloved Kabal a force to be reckoned with.

-deep strike for raiders and venoms. My raiders rarely ever survived to get in range or the splinter rifles on them to do any damage, and when they exploded they frequently took most of the squad with them. I took to using the duke to let me deep strike them, but the fact that sixth meant they could only snap shoot the turn they arrived really hurt.
-court changing to remove minimum numbers of models, and medusa eye burst being S4 AP3 template. I can certainly see a real use for the court now, DE really suffered for not having many reliable template weapons but now the court can really deal with hordes.
-detachment allowing 6 fast attack choices. Particularly if there is a points drop, I can really see me using this as my basic detachment, especially if the razor wing becomes FA too!
- mandrakes having baleblast from turn 1. They were unusable previously, I got lucky once and took down a tau hq, but the models deserve more, and this should make the viable, even if they don't get a decent combat weapon.

I'm disappointed there doesn't seem to have been an option to help wyches into combat (that we've seen so far), but if they can take their invun against overwatch that's all I could ask for.

I've pre-ordered my codex so I'll be poring over it and writing a series of review posts just as soon as it's in my hands!

TBE