Wednesday, 12 November 2014

Evolution of my dark eldar list


Hi all, just thought I'd post up a few thoughts on how my dark eldar force is evolving as games go by. Until now I've tended to play 1500pt games though I may look to shift that to 1850 in the near future.


Version 1

HQ
Succubus with webway portal, Armour of Misery, Archite Glaive

Elites
4 Grotesques in Raider with Dark Lance - Succubus rides with this unit

Troops
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks and Night Shields
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks and Night Shields

Fast Attack
Razorwing with 4 necrotoxin missiles, 2 Dark Lances and twin Splinter Rifle
6 Reavers with 2 Heat Lances and 2 Cluster Caltrops
5 Scourges with 4 Haywire Blasters

Heavy Support
Ravager with Triple Dark Lances
2 Talos with twin Haywire Blasters and Ichor Injectors

So I know that one game doesn’t invalidate a list, but it became clear to me having played against guard (who brought 6 tanks and 2 flyers) that I was a bit short on anti-tank fire early in the game. At most, I could bring 6 lances and 6 haywire blasters on turn 1 (heat lances will always be out of half range so I’m not counting them) and whilst that might be enough to deal with a couple of tanks/transports, anything more and I’d have a problem.

My biggest disappointment with the list is the lack of impact the reavers had on the game, despite their potential. It was clear (and has been through my practice games too) that they are being targeted by my opponents, and whilst it’s equally apparent that something must be targeted on turn 1, the reavers are entirely too fragile, even with a 3+ jink save, to start on the board. With that in mind, they seemed the obvious thing to go from my list, along with the webway portal from the Succubus’ unit. The reason for dropping this was twofold – first as an assault unit, the grotesques don’t need the webway portal to be in an exact position when they arrive, since they can’t assault that turn anyway. Secondly, having dropped the reavers I was left with a few odd points that I couldn’t find a significant use for after my additions, and losing it allowed me to be a bit more consistent with upgrades (I hate taking upgrades on one vehicle of two that have the same purpose).

In terms of additions then, my first go-to was a second ravager – it would increase my turn 1 board presence (and invulnerability to S4 fire on turn 1 – I’m looking at you wyverns!) and maximise my lance output at the start of the game without compromising the tactical philosophy of dropping the gunboats in via deepstrike. I then had enough points left to add torment launchers to both warrior raiders (bit of an experiment, but not ideal in a TAC list due to ATSKNF and Fearless) and upgrade a grotesque to an aberration to ensure my Succubus wouldn’t have to take any nasty challenges.

Version 2

HQ
Succubus with webway portal, Armour of Misery, Archite Glaive

Elites
4 Grotesques including aberration in Raider with Dark Lance, torment grenade launchers - Succubus rides with this unit

Troops
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks and Night Shields and torment grenade launchers
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks and Night Shields and torment grenade launchers


Fast Attack
Razorwing with 4 necrotoxin missiles, 2 Dark Lances and twin Splinter Rifle
6 Reavers with 2 Heat Lances and 2 Cluster Caltrops

5 Scourges with 4 Haywire Blasters

Heavy Support
Ravager with Triple Dark Lances
Ravager with triple Dark Lances
2 Talos with twin Haywire Blasters and Ichor Injectors

 

As expected, in the second game despite facing chaos marines, who would largely be affected by the torment launchers, the only unit that was a target once they arrived was a fearless unit so that, combined with the expense of 3 15pt upgrades on each of my gunboats, I decided to drop the raiders down to the basic minimum of splinter racks. That netted me 75pts to spend, which combined with the shortfall on the total in the previous list meant that I had 80 pts. Not enough to really bring a game changing unit, so I cut the aberration from the grotesque unit too (the grotesques have survived every game I’ve taken them so wasn’t worried this would leave the Succubus short on meatshields).

Using those points, in came a second scourge unit, this time with heat lances for extreme armour handling (and also plinking away at tough things like obliterators with the mark of nurgle etc)

The result looks something like this.

Version 3

HQ
Succubus with Armour of Misery, Archite Glaive, Haywire grenades (spare points)

Elites
3 Grotesques in Raider with Dark Lance - Succubus rides with this unit

Troops
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks 
10 Warriors in Raider with Dark Lance, Splinter Racks 

Fast Attack
Razorwing with 4 necrotoxin missiles, 2 Dark Lances and twin Splinter Rifle
5 Scourges with 4 Haywire Blasters
5 Scourges with 4 Heat Lances

Heavy Support
Ravager with triple Dark Lances
Ravager with triple Dark Lances
2 Talos with twin Haywire Blasters and Ichor Injectors

 

Now I’ll admit I’m not sold completely on the second unit of scourges, so I may investigate other options for units around this points level, but it’s fair to say that the upgrades on my units are pared down to the minimum now, so 125 is all I’ll have to play with if I do change things around.