Wednesday, 28 October 2015

Tau Hunter Contingent - the busted part you didn't notice!

Hi guys, well I'll be honest I'm psyched for the new tau codex, my FLGS has my order in and so I should be getting it on Saturday.

It's fair to say I've been quite eagerly trawling the interwebs therefore for the last few weeks to find out as much as I can, and I think I've noticed something pretty evil that I've not seen mentioned anywhere else. Apologies to those of you who have picked up on it but I've not seen anything specifically mention this.


The hunter contingent is the new tau nested detachment in line with the style of the decurion and gladius detachments in the necron and marine codices (we've also seen them in every other codex since necrons.

To my knowledge these have always been combinations of formations that are explained later in the book, which gain command benefits for being taken together.

The tau codex does something new however.

At first glance the style is the same, but then we look closer. We know there are nine formations detailed in the codex including the hunter cadre, because that's what GW told us was in there. Or are there?
Look at this image closely, now count how many formations are in there, and note that the hunter cadre isn't listed.

There are two extras!!!

That's right, for each core I. The hunter contingent, you can take up to ten units of drones, or ten flyers from the codex!!!

Sure, they don't have command benefits, but wow that's filthy! Imagine all those little four man drone units buzzing round unleashing markerlights etc.

Hope you found this little post illuminating, and just remember it goes to show you never know what you're looking at till you look a bit closer.