Saturday, 19 December 2015

2015 resolutions - how did I do?


Morning all, so here's the promised review of my resolutions for this year. I'm getting nervous myself to see how I did!


  • Hit at least 100,000 page views. Tick!
  • Squeeze some money out of google. Fail!
  • Complete codex reviews for Dark Eldar and Blood Angels. Fail!
  • Finish my 1850pt Dark Eldar list (painting it, that is). Tick!
  • Re-paint Astorath the Grim. Fail!
  • Paint the dreadnought wing and jump pack detachments of my Blood Angels (well, I sold them so technically a fail but with an excuse - I'm calling it N/A!)
  • Paint terminator force for the Iron Fists. Fail! (they're half done)
  • Exceed my 2014 win ratios for Dark Eldar and Marines. Fail!
  • Beat Mj more often than he beats me (40k only). Tick!
  • Actually get my Blood Angels and Eldar armies into some games. Sold, so N/A!
  • Attend and place in the top half of Blog Wars 9. Tick!
  • Run MAD league bloodbowl season 2. Tick!
  • Run more kill team events at MAD Wargaming. Tick!


So, a total ratio of 6 from 11 potential targets. Not bad, but room for improvement!

As for the 5 failed targets:
Squeezing money from google - I think this was a highly ambitious target, expecting to receive over £60 in revenue from clicks on the ads on my blog. I doubt I'll carry this forward to next year, though I'm obviously grateful for anyone who takes the time to click an ad.

Codex reviews for Dark Eldar and Blood Angels. Gotta hold my hands up here - whilst I pretty much abandoned the Blood Angels early in the year (the codex was pretty uninspired and certainly uninspiring I think) I've got no excuse for not reviewing the rest of the Dark Eldar codex. Next year I think I'll likely begin by working on the Tau reviews using my new format and see how we get on - I reckon reviewing two full codices is a reasonable workload.

Re-painting Astorath the Grim. Yeah, this should have easily been achieved. I may complete this early next year and get him up on ebay since the rest of my blood angels are gone already.

Paint my terminators for the Iron Fists. Again, no excuses, I've got them half done but starting a Tau army probably didn't help me achieve this target. Next year...

It's clear that this year I haven't been quite so successful with my main two armies in general - I think I need to sit down over the Christmas period and have a rethink of my strategies with them both to refresh things for the New Year.

So, what areas am I going to look at for next year's resolutions? I realise it's a bit early, but I'll formulate more specific objectives from these areas.


  • The main one has to be running a successful event - that's clearly going to be my biggest challenge.
  • Gaming. Well, having achieved my challenge of winning more games against Mj I'll have to set myself the next challenge. Similarly speaking I liked the constantly evolving challenge of improving on my win ratios - I may however look to set out exceptions for things like experimental lists. I'm going to need to challenge myself with the Tau too from a gaming perspective.
  • Painting. This is always an ongoing thing, and I do like having a stock of unpainted models to keep me going when I can't afford to buy anything new. I may however look at formalising the list of things I still need to paint, possibly setting a points target of painting progress each month.
  • Blog stuff. Well I will need to set myself a challenging target, with a view to increasing traffic to the site - hopefully hero for a day will help with this, but more than anything I think I need to look at putting more effort into constructing posts properly, and I'd love to get a regular battle report slot in too - possibly doing one fully realised report a month - these games take much longer to play. I may look at roping in some friends to possibly get some video work done to accompany the reports too, we'll see.
  • Hobbying. I'm fairly determined to get a solid Tau collection in place this year to complement my Marines and Dark Eldar. Following on from that I'm keen to look at beginning a fourth 40k army. As you all probably know by now I'm a bit of a hobby butterfly sometimes, so I'll have to think carefully about what I want to do in this regard, but I'll probably look at going back to a faction I've tried previously (at the moment I'm looking carefully at Astra Militarum, but that could change)