Friday, 1 January 2016

The Burning Eye's 2016 hobby resolutions!

Hi all, so after my review of the success/failure of last year's hobby resolutions, let's make some for 2016 shall we?

I'm going to break these down into five areas, General Hobbying, Events, Painting, Gaming, and Blogging.

General Hobbying.

Ok so last year saw me branch out into a third 40k army, the Tau. This has been really fun, in particular the Tale of Four Gamers series I and some friends took part in during the second half of the year. My tau aspirations remain to build an even more extensive collection, but I'm also looking to start a fourth 40k army, and finally have that red collection I've not had since I quit blood angels at the start of third edition! I think the important thing for me here is that this won't be another power armoured army, the iron fists will fill that niche for me for a while yet with all the unpainted stuff I have for them.

Hobby resolution 1 - get at least 500pts of a new 40k army built and painted. It must be red!

Hobby resolution 2 - replace my Windsor and Newton brushes - they've done amazingly well but are now sadly past it.

Events

Last year saw me attend my first tournament. I really enjoyed the experience and would love to do more of that in the coming year. Blog Wars is no more, but is being replaced by something different that is definitely enticing to me, so I'd love to go along again. This year will also see the inaugural Hero for a Day event, a 24-hour gaming marathon to raise money for charity CCLG (Childhood Cancer and Leukaemia Group). I'm organising this one myself so I ought to attend, haha! I'm hoping that this will be a very different experience to most tournaments, and I'm aiming for a very friendly atmosphere with much less pressure on individuals, and more emphasis on team play.

Event resolution 1 - attend (and similarly place in the top half) of two tournaments, using two different armies.

Event resolution 2 - organise and participate in Hero for a Day.

Painting

Painting is what got me into this hobby in the first place, taking over from my 'not quite realistic' efforts at making and painting airfix kits. It's my first hobby love and more importantly, without the gaming side of the hobby I'd still keep buying and painting, even if it means becoming part of the 80% statistic quoted by GW! In terms of details though, I've got a lot of stuff for the Iron Fists that has sat in my garage undercoated for a very long time, and I'd like to make this year a concerted effort to bring a lot of those squads into the light in terms of painting. To that end, I'm going to make quite an ambitious resolution for them I think. On other matters, my Dark Eldar have been ignored for a while (painting for Blogwars burned me out on them somewhat) so I'd definitely like to see more options for them finished. The Obsidian Enclave are expanding nicely too, with probably the quickest, simplest paint scheme I've ever done, albeit one that I think is pretty striking. Thanks to the Tale of 4 Gamers series though, there is very little for them that needs painting as they've been getting finished as I go along. Finally then, I mentioned my fourth army, and I have already tried out a basic paint scheme for them. I'd like to work that scheme up in more detail as well as getting the first part of an army finished.

Painting resolution 1 - paint (including finishing part painted models) an average of 300pts per month of Iron Fists over the year.

Painting resolution 2 - paint a minimum of 500pts of Dark Eldar.

Painting resolution 3 - ensure I have no unpainted Tau models unless I make a spectacularly large purchase.

Painting resolution 4 - get to a final version of my draft scheme for my fourth army.

Gaming

Having played lots of smaller games last year, particularly in the Tale, notwithstanding upping my 'normal' game size to 1850 from 1500, I'd love to get some truly big games in. Obviously given the size of my various collections this realistically means using my marines, who can call upon the 5000+ points I think such a game would really need. Any takers? I've also really enjoyed following my gaming success this year, and will be looking to expand on that in the coming year. Consequently I'm going to aim to achieve win percentages of at least 60% for the Tau and Iron Fists, and 55% for the Dark Eldar. I'm not going to put a target in for the fourth army because I'm unlikely to have much experience with it by the end of the year, and could realistically still be testing units out. My challenge last year was to beat Mj more often than I lost to him, which I have to say I achieved quite comfortably in the end, though part of this may very well have been his use of Chaos Marines in the Tale of 4 Gamers. I'm looking this year therefore to challenge myself even further without letting those results drop.

Gaming resolution 1 - play at least 1 5000pt game

Gaming resolution 2- achieve win rates of 60% for the Iron Fists and Obsidian Enclave, and 55% for the Kabal of the Burning Eye.

Gaming resolution 3 - beat Ryan more often than I lose to him (draws won't count)

Blogging

The blog has really come on nicely this year I think, even with the drop in posting over the summer when I took a break from things (pun intended for those who can remember why!).

My aim last year of actually getting paid by google for clicks on the adverts proved wildly out of reach however. In my second year, I doubled my traffic over the first 11 months of posting, and this last year I've added an extra 1000+ views per month to the stats. Given I can't realistically expect to see year on year doublings of views, I think it's reasonable to look to build things by around 15,000 views for the year, which would see me average just over 5000 views per month. I've dropped horribly behind however on my codex and unit reviews, so the key thing I think for me this year is to get myself up to speed in that regard.

Blogging resolution 1  - average 5000 views per month or more for the coming year.

Blogging resolution 2 - complete an average of 1 unit review per week, to get the Tau codex and as much of the space marine codex as possible fully reviewed on the blog.