Monday, 4 April 2016

March review

Greetings all, welcome to April! I'm postponing my normal hobby update until tomorrow, so that I can do my now regular monthly review.

My gut is that March hasn't seen much progress, and very much fizzled out as my eldest daughter's birthday took priority (roughly a week of various trips to friends, relatives and party preparations).


So, taking a quick look at my hobby resolutions for the year (as amended by various decisions I've taken since January!) I come up with the following.


  • paint 500pts of The Bromheads (not until end of the year)
  • place in the top half of two tournaments (my first is scheduled for May, and I'm hoping to attend Fluffageddon this year)
  • Organise Hero for a Day
  • Paint 300pts of marines per month. Erm, no.
  • Paint 500pt of Dark Eldar. No
  • Complete all my Tau. Still no.
  • Play a big game (5000pts). No
  • Win rates - Well I've only used Space Marines this month, but the Iron Fists and the Dusk Knights only lost a single game (one was an intro game for a new club member) and they drew another, giving me 60%
  • I've not played Ryan in a 1v1 game this month.
  • 5000 blog views per month. Smashed this one, with the blog getting over 9,000 views last month, largely thanks to my ongoing reviews of the Angels of Death supplement.
  • 1 unit review per week. Well again I smashed the monthly figures, writing a huge 7 reviews last month (I'm counting the supplement reviews in this since they actually take more time than the unit reviews anyway).


Adsense.

Well, I managed to get two entries into Dave's Adsense competition over at http://www.40kaddict.uk though the quality of other entries is very high indeed.

As for my own performance, March was a bumper month, as you kind people added £4.47 to my account by clicking on the blog's adverts.

That brings my total up to £15.17, of which over £10 has been in the last 3 months, so keep going you guys! And who knows, maybe I'll take a leaf out of Dave's book and put my second adsense payment towards a competition for you all!

Hobby stuff.

So, having made my feeble excuses for the poor performance against my resolutions, what did I actually manage to achieve this last month instead?

Well game-wise I was unbeaten, taking down Blood Angels in week 1, a combined army of marines and Chaos in our Tale doubles in the second week, then Daemons in week 3, Chaos and Marines again in another Tale doubles in week 4 and two Daemons lists in a doubles game in week 5. I'm pretty satisfied with that, In fairness, many of those opposing lists were from weaker codices, but both marine lists are good and have caused me problems in the past.

Construction wise I managed to get a full tactical squad built, along with a couple of land speeders and two drop pods, so much progress on that front, and last night I managed to offload a lot of the remainder of my sale items on ebay, which should give me another nice chunk to spend on new plastic crack in the near future. I'm going to wait to decide what to invest it in, as if I get lucky and win Dave's adsense competition then I won't need to buy myself a knight, instead I'll probably look to add centurions and another drop pod to the dusk knights. May should see me pick up another chunk of hobby cash from election duty, and another election in June will keep things ticking over nicely across the summer. At this rate, I should be able to make a really good amount of progress on the Dusk Knights before autumn gives way to the Bromheads.

Till next time, and look out for hobby pics tomorrow!