Tuesday, 10 January 2017

New feature - Spotlight on Blogging!


Greetings all - welcome to a new feature on The Burning Eye this year!

In my 2017 resolutions I promised that I'd resurrect some old blog features, and try to come up with some new ones. That all started last week with the return of Funny Friday and my personal favourite action film star transposed into the 40k universe. Today however I'm doing something new.

To be honest, I can't remember if I've ever featured other blogs here before, though I know I've looked at instagram.

Broadly speaking therefore that's the plan - I'll run down my reading list on blogger, doing a little feature on each site that's in there. Some may not have posted for a while, others post more often than me, but everyone will get a look-in along with a little introduction by myself as to why I follow them.

That's not all though, if this was just to be a feature feature then I'd have titled things differently. No, this feature will also occasionally include articles setting out any tips and tricks I can think of for blogging, keeping your blog going and 'growing' it beyond its humble beginnings.

So, without further ado, let's have a little look at blog number 1 on my list - the 256th Imperial Battle Group, by Steven Burden (I should mention, i'm running through the blogs in alphabetical order, so the position on the list is no reflection on anything else).

I can't remember exactly when I first stumbled across Steven's blog, but I'm pretty sure it was via Google+ and it related to a celebration of getting 250 views on the blog.

I'm pretty pleased to say that since then, Steven has kept churning out posts on his blog, and at the last acknowledgement he'd reached 2,500 views.

What really struck me about this blog more than anything else was the depth of thought put into the background of the forces represented there, and not just into the more 'celebrated' armies like space marines where it's easy to come up with background info, there are three guard/scion forces detailed on the blog, an inquisition delegation, 5 space marine chapters and a detailed background of the system in which they are fighting.

This is the sort of thing I love to see in relation to peoples armies, and I'm working on creating the background to my own forces along these lines, detailing how the Bromheads and Kindred of Malebolgia interact with the Dusk Knights and the Obsidian Enclave.

Steven also does reports on his games and I thought it was really interesting to see his game reviews of the northern invasion tournament he attended last year.

If you've not visited before, go on and check Steven's blog out!

http://256ibg.blogspot.com/

Next on the list is a blogger I know personally, last year we even spent 24 hours (actually many more than this) together in a room smelling more and more noxiously of old socks as the hours passed - yes, it's Rob from 30kplus40k.