Sunday, 5 March 2017

February review

Blog aims.
  • Continue to post at or above 2016 levels, when I achieved 153 blog posts.
February was another bumper month, with 23 posts in 28 days, which takes me up to 43 over the first two months of the year. Keep that rate up and we're looking at over 250 posts this year, which will smash my previous best.
  • Reinstate/create some regular features, including Funny Friday, and possibly we'll see a return of 'The Adept' and his take on 40k's particular style.
I'm continuing on with the new series 'spotlight on blogging' and whilst views on these posts have dropped for the last couple (could be that they've not been top article on the home page for as long) the series appears to be going down quite well. I've also done another couple of Tactical Insight articles on the marine codex, so feature series are coming along nicely.
  • Achieve over 20,000 views in at least 1 month of the year, and aim to average over 18,000 views per month.
I comfortably exceeded my 18,000 target once again this month, for a second month in a row beating the 20,000 mark (23,239 to be exact). In fact, had my viewing figures continued at the same pace and February had the same number of days as January I'd have beaten that record.
  • Continue to promote adsense on the blog, and actually get paid by google!
Well I honestly thought I was going to achieve this this month, but agonisingly I fell just a few pence short of the threshold for getting paid (the pot now stands at £59.50). Still, it'll give me another month to increase the pot beyond that threshold so the payment will be nicer when it does arrive.
  • Feature a narrative campaign series of battle reports using the Dusk Knights.
This month saw the first of the narrative reports 'Return to Golovin - Recon Strike'. It seemed to go down fairly well with you all, though nothing like as well as the original game that inspired it. Interestingly, that report went up on a Friday night, which I've noticed before can tend to result in higher views, so from now on every time there's a narrative game report, it'll be published on a Friday night.
  • Promote a more 'feature/spotlight' style of photography post when I finish painting a unit.
I downloaded the camera+ app onto my phone this month, and I think the results of that are already beginning to bear fruit - when Greggles tells you your photos are better, then your photos are better!

I'm also going to start featuring a combination photo in these review posts of everything I manage to paint in a month.
Personal hobby aims.
  • Buy no new 40k miniatures in the first half of the year (excluding those I've already committed to, which comprise a chimera, guardsman squad, and 12-14 genestealers).
Tick, that's now two months with no 40k stuff bought! In fact my only hobby spending this month was on a new brush and some paints.
  • Expand on commission painting services, getting a more formal structure in place.
So far so good, I've got plenty of stuff in the pipeline in this regard, with two lots of tzeentch screamers (for two different commissioners) and fateweaver, a terminator librarian and more space wolves too. Soon I may be solvent again!
  • Buy the Dwarf Bloodbowl team, including a Deathroller.
Not yet - it will be a while due to funding issues I've already mentioned.
  • Continue to paint/build 300pts per month on average.
Smashed it, this month I broke 800, though I did get a nice head start with some almost finished models on day 1.
  • Complete my first formation for the Genestealer Cult - the First Curse.
I have enough models to get cracking on this now - and if commission work is completed quickly in March I may get the first few painted. I've already tried out a new test scheme that should work well on both the genestealer cult models and the guard stuff I want to accompany them.
  • Finish painting 1000pts of Emperor's Children
Still a way off - I may look to get more of this done in April, after my March commission month.
  • Begin the repainting of the Tau, at least 6 units to be complete by the end of the year.
I haven't started yet, in fact I'm contemplating possibly putting some of the Tau up for auction with a view to focusing the collection on the Farsight Enclaves.
  • Begin using an airbrush to increase the speed of my painting.
I've not attempted this yet, still haven't had the time or been brave enough to try it. However, I do have a whole day to myself in March when it might be a possibility.
  • Complete building my gaming table/storage space to enable battle reports on the GDB blog.
Not yet, though the first GDB board is taking shape nicely - let's hope the rest come together rather quicker!
Gaming aims
  • Beat Ryan more often than I lose to him.
Just the one game in February and it was another loss - I need to get the win back in March's narrative!
  • Achieve a 60+% win rate with the Dusk Knights.
Well I'm currently trotting along at exactly 60% so far this year.
  • Achieve a 50+% win rate with the Obsidian Enclave.
Haven't used the Tau yet this year
  • Get into the playoffs of MAD League 3 Bloodbowl.
Didn't play bloodbowl this month, I'm still waiting for others in the league to catch up as I'm several games ahead of most players.
  • Develop a consistently successful list for use with the Dusk Knights
I'm getting there, though it's currently quite heavily dependent on sternguard, and my focus has been on getting stuff done for the Golovin narratives
  • Place in the top half of two different tournaments.
Haven't been to a tournament yet this year.
Weight: 100.5kg
February seemed to go off the rails a bit for both myself and my wife despite a couple of kilos lost in the first two weeks (what can I say - Valentine's Day and my wife's birthday encouraged us both to indulge in rather more food than we should have!), but things are rescuable, and I'm back on it again now.