Monday, 24 April 2017
Hobby update - 24/4/17 - fates entwine!
Greetings all - welcome once more to the inner workings of my hobby station.
This week I've mainly been working on commission projects, hoping to finish my current workload so that I can concentrate on the Dusk Knights prior to my doubles tournament in June.
First up we have Fateweaver and half a dozen Screamers of Tzeentch. These were a commission for Siph of Weemen fame, and he's already had some other squads done by Rob Hill at 30kplus40k. These squads were original, done in a non-standard colour scheme (pink horrors) (daemonettes) and Siph gave me free reign over the colours I would use for these followers of Tzeentch. Whilst I wanted to do something a little different, I decided to keep a least a little reference to the traditional blue colours of Tzeentchian creatures. As such, I went for a bright turquoise colour on the screamers themselves, contrasting heavily with an orange blended up from a gloomy dark brown. I think the final result speaks for itself, and I'm very happy with it - now hopefully I'll never have to paint another, as there are a bajillion little spines on each one that take forever to layer up and are too small for anything but the most careful drybrushing!
Fateweaver himself used the same basic palette, though I decided not to do the skin in the turquoise blend, instead opting for a bruised flesh tone that makes it seem almost as if the daemon isn't fully manifested yet (I'm aware there's a new Fateweaver model that is considerably larger than this one). The turquoise appears on the model however in the cloth scraps draped over various parts of the figure, so I think it ties in nicely with the screamers.
With that commission out of the way, next up was a second unit and transport for the Space Wolves, a commission for NafNaf of Objective Secured. This would be along the lines of the first squad I'd painted, and I'm getting a bit more familiar with the techniques required for it now. In contrast to the screamers, NafNaf has a very specific method for painting his wolves that I would be following.
As of Friday night, the squad themselves are just about finished, with only some bolter and cloth details to add. The Razorback has been started, but is going to be part of the coming week's focus alongside a landspeeder storm for a clubmate.
In amongst all that, I've not had too much time to devote to my own army projects, but I did get some time on Friday to put to use in between washes drying to tinker around. I should really have been painting scouts or scout bikes, but instead I couldn't resist putting some colour on these fellas:
It's only the shoulder pads that I've put any detail on so far, the blue was all applied via airbrush a couple of weeks ago, but hopefully these will see some more time dedicated to them in the coming weeks. My aim is first to get the current commissions sorted, then finish my doubles list before working on the unfinished elements of my 1500 list, all in time for 8th edition to drop a bomb all over my finely crafted plans!
Still, I'm always one to stay positive and so far I haven't heard anything that leads me to fear that GW will be ruining the game I love, so I'm going to trust my instincts and prepare to figure out the new rules early. I think adapting to change is a personal strength of mine in this way, and I'd like to think that I will get to grips with the new rules pretty quickly - as I said in my last article, myself and my partners that form the Grim Dark Brotherhood will be getting hold of the new rules as soon as they're available and will be bringing you the lowdown on them just as soon as we're able (provided I'm not on holiday that is!).
Till next time!