Monday, 16 October 2017

Hobby update 16/10/17 - where has October gone?


Greetings all, just a quick update for you all today, as I appear to have misplaced a couple of weeks of October! With a busy weekend visiting family just gone and a long weekend away coming up painting time may be a bit sparse for a couple of weeks, but here goes with what I've got so far!

Friday, 13 October 2017

The lesson learned. Characters are key. Keeping them alive is more so!


Greetings all, I've played a few games recently, and as such have a wealth of material to choose from for this post! I've gone for the impact and importance of characters however, and I'll also have a little look at how their use has changed into 8th edition.

Tuesday, 10 October 2017

Tau - the Firestorm Enclave is born!

Greetings all, time for another list post! A little while ago you may remember I posted up a couple of potential lists I was working on in terms of starting a new army, one for the Genestealer Cult and one for the Tau.

Since then, those ideas have largely sat around in my hobby folder and nothing has happened with them, but in working away the other night on my colour scheme for them, I reignited a bit of a flame for them, so I sat back down and took another look at the list I'd written, armed with a few more examples of Tau lists from battle reports I've seen and a little more information on how the units tie in together, plus a whole whack more experience of 8th edition. List discussion comes after the break.

Friday, 6 October 2017

The lesson learned - the hardest lessons are learned the quickest.


Greetings all, welcome to the latest part in my lesson series, today I'm looking at not a specific tactical issue as such, but that sometimes you just have to grin and bear the pain and keep going, because making mistakes and having your stuff shot/hacked off the table is the best way to make sure you don't do the same thing again (unless you're as thick as I can be!).


Tuesday, 3 October 2017

Hobby season - short term goals 2 & 3 - TO DONE!

Hi all! Well today after my hobby season success of last week, I have a couple more stamps to award myself for staying focused!

Monday, 2 October 2017

Hobby update 2-10-17 - clearing the decks for Dreadtober.


Greetings all! With a new month comes a new challenge!  I'm taking part in Dreadtober this year, so I've got some dread pics for you later, but for now, let's have a look at what I've achieved already at the end of September shall we?

First up, my first completed Razorback in a long time! I've done weathering on this guy too which I'm really pleased with, now I just need to add a second to join him!

Next up, we have my converted Terminator Captain, using the Asterion Moloch model,  an old masters of the chapter storm shield and a thunder hammer head, plus a sculpted base. This guy came together really quickly once I knuckled down and started painting him, and I'm really pleased with how he performed in the game too, taking on the avatar of Ynnead and emerging victorious. These first photos aren't quite the finished article, which can be seen in-game against the yncarne itself.





Next up we have the 8th company captain, Jace Fenix, who is also now complete though I don't have photos for him sadly (yet).



I've also been progressing with some of my hobby season pledges, with these sniper scouts now just needing detail adding to their faces and bases.


Last night I wrote a new list for a game I'm playing this week, and to use it I need a crusader squad, so here we are, my 3rd tactical squad got sacrificed to the altar of alteration and is now armed with bolt pistols and chainswords.


After that, I got these heavy bolter guys finished - these are on my hobby season list too so look out for some nicer photos of them and the other devastators on there tomorrow night.


I then did a bit of wash and colour work on some of my scenery, this building being phase 1 of a much larger ruined cathedral we're working on for the grim dark brotherhood.


And now the promised dreadtober pics! Last night I put down much of the base silver so that I could crack on with some detail work.


And so today during my lunch break I got on with that detail. I'm particularly pleased with the base and the lamppost for the dread on the left, it's going to look pretty characterful when it's done I think!


Till next time!
TBE